- BA and MA in TESL, National University of Malaysia MSc in Language Education, Indiana University (Bloomington Indiana USA)
- MSc in Instructional Systems Technology, (Bloomington) Indiana University
- PhD in Language Education, (Bloomington) Indiana University
Karen was Associate Head at the Centre for Language Studies, HKU SPACE before joining the Centre for Applied English Studies at HKU. She has taught language education courses in US universities and research skills at postgraduate levels. Her areas of research interest are writing pedagogy, teacher cognition, learner motivation, workplace pragmatics, and curriculum development.
Karen is currently involved in teaching courses on postgraduate research writing and undergraduate academic language skills.
Special Interest Groups:
Editorial Board for International Journal of Information and Education Technology (IJIET)
Review Board/Technical Program Committee for:
- 2019-2022 International Conference on Information and Education Technology (ICIET)
- 2019-2022 International Conference on Educational Research and Policy (ICERP)
- 2018-2022 International Seminar on Education Research and Social Science (ISERSS)
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- Ngeow, K.Y.H., & Kong, Y. S. (2019). Minding the gender gap: Associating gender under-representation with female students’ research motivations. International Journal of Management and Applied Sciences (IJMAS), 5(5), 22-27.
- Ngeow, K.Y.H. (2019, August 12-16). Exploring the culture of motivated persistence among Chinese graduate students. [Paper presentation]. European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI), Aachen, Germany.
- Ngeow, K.Y.H. (2008). Motivation and transfer in language learning. ERIC Digest. http://worldcat.org/identities/lccn-no2003077090/
Office: Room 6.52
Telephone: 3917 1069
Email Address: email@example.com