- BA (Hons) Fine Art, Dundee, Scotland
- RSA CTEFLA, Edinburgh, Scotland
- RSA DTEFLA, International House London and the British Council, Prague, The Czech Republic
- MA Applied Linguistics, The University of Hong Kong
- PhD Candidate, School of Education, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Lowana completed a BA (Hons) in Fine Art in Scotland before moving into EFL and has been in the English language teaching field since 1993. She has taught in Britain, Italy, The Czech Republic and Hong Kong. She has taught students at all levels of English learning, and worked in many different English learning areas: English for Academic Purposes (EAP), Business English, English for Exams (FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS), English for Specific Purposes (ESP), General English and Teacher Training. Since joining HKU in 2003, she has taught/coordinated undergraduate and postgraduate courses, English courses for HKU staff, and IELTS courses for the School for Professional and Continuing Education (SPACE) at HKU.
Lowana has created two innovative courses: Intensive English for Postgraduate Students for Graduate School courses and Academic English Proficiency: Engaging with Visual Art for the Faculty of Arts Summer Institute in the Arts and Humanities. Her main work and research interest is based on incorporating visual art into teaching and she has created materials for and taught courses for Fine Art majors. She is a PhD candidate investigating the experiences of HKU students participating in discussion of visual art. Her PhD thesis is titled, Talking about visual art: Creating phenomenological narratives.
Special Interest Groups:
Other Major Administrative Roles:
- Deputy Coordinator for GRSC courses
- Coordinator for Intensive English for Postgraduates
Office: Room 6.08
Telephone: 3917 2024
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org