- BA (Hons) Fine Art, Dundee, Scotland
- RSA CTEFLA, Edinburgh, Scotland
- RSA DTEFLA, International House London and the British Council, Prague, The Czech Repulic
- MA Applied Linguistics, The University of Hong Kong
- PhD Candidate, School of Education, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Lowana completed a BA (Hons) in Fine Art in Scotland before moving into EFL and has been in the English language teaching field since 1993. She has taught in Britain, Italy, The Czech Republic and Hong Kong. She has taught students of all levels, and worked in many different areas: General English, Business English, Exam English (FCE, CAE, CPE, IELTS), English for Academic Purposes (EAP), English for Specific Purposes (ESP), and Teacher Training. Since joining HKU in 2003, she has taught/coordinated undergraduate and postgraduate courses, English courses for HKU staff, and IELTS courses for the School for Professional and Continuing Education (SPACE) at HKU.
Lowana has created two innovative courses: Intensive English for Postgraduate Students for the Graduate School and Academic English Proficiency: Engaging with Visual Art for the Faculty of Arts Summer Institute in the Arts and Humanities. Her main interest is based on incorporating Visual Art into teaching and she has created materials for and taught courses for Fine Art majors. She is a PhD candidate investigating the impact of Visual Art discussion on HKU students’ academic English speaking skills from a humanistic perspective.
Other Major Administrative Roles:
- Core team for Intensive English for Postgraduates
Office: Room 6.08
Telephone: 3917 2024
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org