- BA, The University of Hong Kong
- MA in Applied Linguistics, The University of Hong Kong
- PhD in Applied Linguistics, The University of Birmingham
- Fellow, The Higher Education of Academy
- Recipient of the HKU Teaching Excellence Award (Individual) (2022) Video about my teaching philosophy: https://uvision.hku.hk/playvideo.php?mid=25844
- Recipient of the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, Faculty of Arts (2018-19)
Lisa has been actively involved in the teaching of a range of postgraduate and undergraduate English enhancement courses on academic and professional communication, and has extensive experience in developing corpus-based learning resources and their integration with classroom teaching.
As the Chair of the Publicity and Outreach Committee, she leads the team to pull together the CAES mission, strategic direction, and intended outcomes. Lisa also led the Centre’s development project on Students as Partners (2020-2022), which utilized HKU students’ expertise and experience as a student to contribute equally to ‘teaching and learning process’ and ‘enhancement of teaching and learning policy or practices’.
Lisa is the Deputy Programme Coordinator for the Faculty of Arts in 2022-2023. Prior to this new leadership role, she had been the Programme Coordinator for the English courses for the Faculty of Dentistry for over 10 years, during which she received a couple of funded projects to develop and revamp the English-in-the-Discipline course for Year 5 Dentistry students. She had also served on the Faculty Board of Arts for six years.
Lisa’s main research interests include: corpus linguistics, reflective writing and English for Specific Purposes. She has a track record of success in both research publications and grant applications (a total of four completed and two on-going research funded projects). Her first co-authored book on understanding the language of dentistry is a proof of research-informed pedagogical practices in the Dentistry course that she had coordinated for over 10 years (e.g. additional course module on ‘hedging’ in response to research findings).
Engagement, Research and Impact Committee,Publicity and Outreach
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Other Major Administrative Roles:
- Chair, Publicity and Outreach Committee, CAES (2020 – present).
- Deputy Programme Coordinator, English programme for the Faculty of Arts (2022 – present).
- Project Leader, Student Partnership, CAES (2020 – 2022).
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- (forthcoming). (with Crosthwaite, P.). ESP in the community: A multidimensional comparison of learner and professional research reports from the dentistry discipline. In Aspects of specialised genres: Research and application: In memory of Stephen Evans. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.
- (2019). Learning the Language of dentistry: Disciplinary corpora in the teaching of English for Specific Academic Purposes. Studies in Corpus Linguistics. John Benjamins.
- (2017). (with Crosthwaite, P. and Jiang, K.). “Expression of stance in learner and professional dentistry corpora”. English for Specific Purposes.
Grants / Awards / Other Achievements:
- University Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Hong Kong (2022).
- Faculty of Arts Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Hong Kong (2018-2019).
- Principal Investigator. “Are you Ready for your Profession: Promoting Innovative Experiential Learning for Clinical Professionalism through Reflective Practice”, Teaching Development Grant (HK$99,505), The University of Hong Kong. (June 2020 – May 2022).
Office: Room 6.25
Telephone: 3917 7223
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org