- BSc in Chemical Engineering (High Honors), University of California at Berkeley
- MSc in Chemical Engineering, Stanford University
- MSc in Engineering (Client/Server Computing), San Jose University
- MIEEE, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Cert. TESOL, Trinity College London
- PDip in English Studies (Distinction), The University of Hong Kong
- MA in Applied Linguistics (Distinction), The University of Hong Kong
- PhD in Applied Linguistics (Outstanding thesis – Top 5%), The University of Hong Kong
Completing his studies in engineering at Berkeley and Stanford, Ken taught at San Jose University, and worked as an engineer and project manager in engineering companies Applied Materials and Cisco Systems in Silicon Valley in the US. His professional experience comprised R&D in engineering, project management, and supervision of junior engineers. At CAES, Ken is currently the programme coordinator of English-in-the-Discipline (ED) for Architecture at The University of Hong Kong supporting various departments of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Real Estate and Construction, and Urban Planning and Design. He was the former ED programme coordinator of Engineering Programme (2017-2022). In MA Applied Linguistics, Ken also teaches Advances in Writing Pedagogy, and supervises postgraduate research and dissertation writing.
Ken’s research interests include engineering epistemology, engineering rhetoric and technical genres. His PhD study investigates how engineering undergraduates, through their writing, develop disciplinary knowledge and arguments across genres, study levels, and sub-disciplines under various contextual influences. He has been invited as manuscript reviewer for Journal of English for Academic Purposes and The Asian Journal of Applied Linguistics.
Special Interest Groups:
CAES Management Committee
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (MIEEE)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Education Society (IEEEES)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Professional Communication Society (IEEEPCS)
Other Major Administrative Roles:
- Coordinator of English-in-the-Discipline Programme for Architecture
- Board Member of Faculty of Architecture
- Board Member of Faculty of Arts
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- Ho, K.L. (Dec 2022). ESP curriculum design for engineering: A decade of innovation and challenges at HKU. Paper presented at The International Congress on English Language Education and Applied Linguistics. The Education University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Ho, K.L. (Jun 2021). Genre and precision in engineering: A case study of undergraduate writing. Paper presented at the 6th International Conference of Asia-Pacific Language for Specific Purposes & Professional Communication. The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Ho, K.L. (Jan 2021). Recontextualization in engineering laboratory report and machine workshop training record. Paper presented at the 1st HKCPD Hub International Conference on Innovative Teaching and Research in English Language Education. The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
Grants / Awards / Other Achievements:
- CAES-funded Research Project: An investigation of students’ perspective on the transferable skills in English-in-the-Discipline (ED) courses for Faculty of Engineering, 2020-2021 (Co-Investigator)
- Teaching Development Grant: Enhancement of Core University English Course (CUE) through Development of eLearning Moodle Materials, 2014 – 2015 (Co-Investigator)
- Stanford Fellowship and Research Assistantship Award
Office: Room 6.02
Telephone: 3917 7254
Email Address: email@example.com