- BA (Hons) in English, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- MPhil in Applied English Linguistics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- PhD in Linguistics, University of Pittsburgh
Derek joins CAES in Fall 2019. He is excited to teach the Centre’s MA programmes in Applied Linguistics and TESOL, in addition to postgraduate thesis writing. Previously, he taught academic writing and applied linguistics at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and the National University of Singapore. He is keen to contribute to the Centre’s mission in applied linguistics teaching and research for the benefit of the HKU community and beyond.
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- Chan, D. H. L. (2018). Ultimate L2 attainment and ESOL. In J. I. Liontas, M. Dellicarpini, & A. Shehadeh (Eds.), The TESOL Encyclopedia of English Language Teaching (1st Ed) (pp.933-941). Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Chan, D. H. L. (2018, August). A corpus-based study of the English progressive in Cantonese ESL learner writing. Paper presented at Tense, Aspect, and Modality in L2 Conference, Leiden, The Netherlands.
Office: Room 6.21
Telephone: 3917 2005
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org