- BA in English, Hebei Teachers’ University
- MA in Linguistics, Beijing Foreign Studies University
- PhD in Applied Linguistics, The University of Hong Kong
Prior to joining CAES, Clarence taught English at Beijing Foreign Studies University and Tsinghua University and researched into effective language teachers with China National Research Center for Foreign Language Education. At CAES, Clarence first worked on his doctoral study exploring teachers’ beliefs and practices, and upon graduation in 2008, he started teaching full-time at the Centre. At undergraduate level, he teaches academic and professional English courses to students of a range of disciplines, including arts, business, education, and law; at postgraduate level, he teaches Language Teacher Development and Thesis Writing, co-teaches Phonetics and Phonology for ELT, and supervises MA dissertations in Applied Linguistics. Currently, Clarence is coordinating English courses for the Faculty of Education. His research interests include language teacher development, English phonology and academic writing.
Other Major Administrative Roles:
- Programme Coordinator, English-in-the-Discipline courses for Faculty of Education
- Member, Graduate School Examiners’ Committee
- Member, Committee on English Language Enhancement Programmes, HKU
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- Wang, W.F. (2015). Analyzing students’ English legal writing: A pragmatics approach. Paper presented at ALAA / ALANZ / ALTAANZ 2015 – Learning in a Multilingual World, Adelaide, Australia.
- Wang, W.F. (2014). Implementing the innovative 2003 English Curriculum for Senior Secondary
Schools in China: Teachers’ beliefs and practices. In Coniam, D. (Ed.). English Language
Education and Assessment: Recent Developments in Hong Kong and the
Chinese Mainland (pp. 35-50). Singapore: Springer.
- Wang, W.F. (2014). Self-mentions in Academic Writing in English and
Chinese. Paper presented at The Annual Bloomsbury Round Table on Communication, Cognition
and Culture, London.
Grants / Awards / Other Achievements:
- 2015 Continuing Professional Development Grant (Ref. no.: 00006324)
- 2014 Continuing Professional Development Grant (Ref. no.: 00005968)
Office: Room 6.12
Telephone: 3917 2041
Email Address: email@example.com