- BA in Translation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- MA in Translation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- MA in TESOL, Institute of Education, University College London
- Fellowship of Advance HE
Andrea obtained her BA and MA degrees at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, and her second master’s degree in TESOL at UCL Institute of Education. She has worked in Singapore and the UK in the fields of translation and interpreting, and academic administration. Before joining HKU, she taught translation and English courses at various local higher educational institutions. At CAES, Andrea teaches English-in-the-Discipline courses for undergraduate Science and Social Sciences students, and the academic English course for first-year students. She also supervises MA student projects. Her research interests include intercultural communication, English teaching and learning in higher education, and English and international development.
- Affiliated member of International Centre for Intercultural Studies, University College London
Other Major Administrative Roles:
- Deputy Programme Coordinator of English-in-the-Discipline courses for the Faculty of Social Sciences
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- Kwan, E. K. P., Chai, K., & Hui, J. (2021). Bridging the gap: Transferring literacy skills in an English for specific purposes course. Paper presented at The HKCPD Hub Virtual International Conference 2021.
- Kwan, E. K. P., Chai, K., & Hui, J. (2021). Transferability of literacy skills of ESP and discipline specific EAP courses: Learners’ perspectives. Paper presented at The AILA 2021 Congress.
- Kwan, E. K. P., & Chai, K. (2018). Redesigning an EAP course: From generic conventions to genre flexibility and negotiation. Paper presented at the 17th Symposium of Second Language Writing. Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
Office: Room 6.43
Telephone: 3917 2910
Email Address: email@example.com