- B.Ed, Western Australia College of Adv. Education (currently known as Edith Cowan University)
- M.A., Institute of Education, University College London
- Ph.D., Institute of Education, University College London
- Member, Chartered Institute of Linguists, London
Cynthia Lee is currently Professor cum Head of Education and Deputy Director of Research Institute for Bilingual Learning and Teaching (RiBILT) at the School of Education and Languages, the Open University of Hong Kong. She has worked in the university sector for over 20 years. She has taught EAP/ESP courses, undergraduate and postgraduate academic courses, and has supervised MA and PhD students. Her research and publications focus on discourse and pragmatics in the educational context, automated content feedback and English writing, and English language teaching and learning particularly in English writing support services and consultations. She has been Chairperson of Hong Kong Association for Applied Linguistics (HAAL), Visiting Colleague in the Department of Second Language Studies, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Visiting Scholar in the Institute for Positive Psychology and Education, Australian Catholic University, and Honorary Senior Research Associate in the Institute of Education, University College London.
She has published articles in SSCI journals such as System, Journal of Pragmatics, Intercultural Pragmatics, Pragmatics, Computer Assisted Language Learning, Computers and Education, Language and Education, Multilingua, Teaching in Higher Education and refereed book chapters. Her recent book titled Researching and Teaching Second Language Speech Acts in the Chinese Context published by Springer appeared in June 2018. In addition, she has successfully secured external research grants from the Research Grants Council of Hong Kong, the Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR) of the Hong Kong Education Bureau, and teaching and learning project grants (on competitive bids) from the University Grants Committee of Hong Kong.
Her expertise is recognized as evidenced in her contribution as manuscript reviewers of SSCI and AHCI journals, and invitations by the Government and educational bodies to develop English language teaching and learning projects.
- Member, Chartered Institute of Linguists
- Member, International Pragmatics Association
Selected Publications / Presentations:
- Lee, C., Yeung, A., and Cheung, W. K.W. (2019) Learner Perceptions Versus Technology Usage: A Study of Adolescent English Learners in Hong Kong Secondary School. Computers and Education, 133, 13-26. (SSCI-indexed journal)
- Lee, C. (2019) A Study of Adolescent English Learners’ Cognitive Engagement in Writing while Using an Automated Content Feedback Program. Computer Assisted Language Learning, DOI: 10.1080/09588221.2018.1544152. (SSCI-indexed journal)
- Lee, C. (2018) Researching and Teaching Second Language Speech Acts in the Chinese Context. Singapore: Springer.
Grants / Awards / Other Achievements:
- University Grants Committee of Hong Kong. Teaching and Learning Project Title: A Student-Tutor Writing Consultation Programme and Inter-institutional Writing Consultation Support System. (2017-2019) (HKU-18) (Amount: $3,467,930)
- Language Fund, Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR). Research Project Title: Case studies on how Chinese English learners in Hong Kong secondary schools mediate automated content feedback and related contextual learning elements for essay writing: Implications for pedagogy (2016-2017) (EDB/(LE)/P&R/EL/164/1) (Amount: HK$667,800)
- HKU Seed Funding for Basic Research. Research Project Title:
A study of L1 and L2 tutors’ and peer tutors’ advice in writing consultations. (2014-2015) (Amount: HK$146,000)
Email Address: email@example.com