Read each statement below and judge if it is “True” or “False”.
1. The purpose of a report is to persuade your readers with a stance.
Incorrect. The purpose of a report is to communicate new findings, analyze business matters and suggest possible improvements or fixes to an issue. We usually persuade with a stance in academic essays.
2. We use headings and sub-headings to highlight the content of a particular section.
Incorrect. We should use headings and sub-headings to highlight the content of a particular section.
3. We should not use linking devices in a report.
Incorrect. Linking devices like conjunctions, headings and topic sentences are necessary in a report as they help to show linkage among different ideas.
4. A report includes an introduction, findings and a conclusion only.
incorrect. You should also include a section of recommendation as you may want to provide some suggestions based on your observation and findings.
5. Long texts are much preferred when writing a report.
Incorrect. You should notice that your superiors may be too busy to read long reports. Do keep your report brief and succinct.