In line with CAES’s mission to support English enhancement needs of university staff and taught postgraduate (TPG) programmes, Specially-funded English Courses (SFEC) offers workplace and academic English workshops.
Our lessons are conducted as small group tutorials using tailored-made materials designed to cater to targeted learners’ workplace or discipline-specific interests. We also welcome opportunities to collaborate with overseas institutions on summer intensive English enhancement.
Workplace English for HKU non-academic staff
Since 2008, the Centre has collaborated with HKU Registry to improve the English skills of administrative staff. These courses cover various aspects of workplace communication:
- Grammar Essentials
- Professional English Basics
- Workplace Accuracy
- Workplace Meetings
- Workplace Speaking
- Workplace Writing
We also collaborate with university divisions and centres to provide English training for specialised contexts and targeted staff’s language and communication needs, for example, English for Information Technology Services (ITS) staff.
Academic English for students
Our courses are designed based on faculties’ requests for Academic English support to meet their taught-postgraduate (TPG) students’ language needs. Courses are currently offered to students in these departments: Arts, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, Medicine and Social Sciences.
At the undergraduate level:
- Medical/Dental Terminology for Dentistry
- Dissertation Writing for Final Year Speech and Hearing Sciences (Education)
- Summer Institute in the Arts & Humanities – English Enhancement
At the taught postgraduate level:
- Academic English and Avoiding Plagiarism for Faculty of Arts (MA in English Studies; MA in Art History)
- Dissertation Writing for MSc Dental Surgery and Master of Science
- Academic Writing Skills for MA(TESOL)
- Academic Writing for MEd Education
- Thesis Writing for Postgraduate Education (EEDD)
- Dissertation Writing for MSc Computer Science
- Presentation Skills for MSc Computer Science
- Dissertation Writing for MSc Mechanical Engineering
- Dissertation Writing for Medical Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Academic Writing and Avoiding Plagiarism for MSocSc in Criminology; MSocSc in Media, Culture and Creative Cities
- Academic Writing for Faculty of Social Sciences: MSocSc in Behavioral Health; MSocSc in Expressive Arts Therapy; MSocSc in Non-Profit Management
How are we doing?
SFEC curricula and lessons are extremely well-received by staff, faculties and students, with positive feedback on course and teaching quality. Satisfaction ratings for effective and interactive delivery, materials’ relevance and student engagement generally fall between 85% and 95%.
This is what course participants say about our courses:
“This course helps me understand the key points of writing a dissertation” (Academic Writing for MEd)
“Course materials are tailored and relevant to our needs. We learn to analyse the language of research articles for our literature review” (Dissertation Writing for MSc Comp Sci)
“Could not have asked for a more professional teacher – he was patient, fun and so helpful” (Registry’s workplace English course for staff)
How can we help?
We welcome enquiries on current and new English courses.
Please contact the SFEC Coordinator, Dr. Karen Ngeow (email@example.com) for information or collaboration opportunities on workplace and academic English.
For summer English enhancement programmes, please contact Dr. Lisa Cheung (Summer English Coordinator; firstname.lastname@example.org)